The difference between a great story and an average story often comes down to details in storytelling. Details can advance a story and make it come alive or cause it to bog down and fail. The right details keep us on the edge of our seats. The wrong details act as a detour, distraction, or roadblock.
In this article, I explain the keys to choosing and using details in storytelling. Including:
- The 3 keys to using details are explained.
- An example from Disney’s Cinderella.
- How to exaggerate details to make a stronger statement.
- Which details should be left out.
- How do some stories bog down with too many details about background information?