The difference in a great story and an average story often comes down to details. Details can advance a story and make it come alive or cause it to bog down and fail. The right details in storytelling keep us on the edge of our seat. The wrong details act as a detour or roadblock.
In this article, I explain the keys to choosing and using details in storytelling. Including:
- The 3 keys to using details explained.
- An example from Disney’s Cinderella.
- How to exaggerate details to make a stronger statement.
- Which details should be left out.
- How some stories bog down with too many details about background information.