Depending on the ratings service and market, there are two types of ratings methodologies. One compiles ratings using diary methodology. The other is metered Rating via the Personal People Meter (PPM).
This article explains the benefits and drawbacks of metered ratings. Including:
- How metered ratings (PPM) works.
- What markets are served by metered ratings.
- The impact of metered ratings vs. diary methodology.
- If listening is being tracked electronically, is station branding important?
- What happens with phantom listening? Is that still a thing?
- The apparent bias against spoken word content in metered ratings methodology.
- What do the ratings companies do about headphone listening that isn’t sending a signal to the device?